Public Assistance

A house damaged by weather.Recovery, quick and efficient, is the goal of the Public Assistance (PA) department. Whether it is a Federal or a State declared disaster, we are here to assist state and local government.

Through floods, tornadoes, wildfires, hail storms, ice storms and snowstorms, we are here to support you on your road to recovery.

The key ingredient in this process is information. Providing eligible applicants with information on how the process works is one way to prepare for and properly utilize the funding resources available.

The Governorís Emergency Fund was established to provide appropriations for the Governor to provide assistance to political subdivisions that have suffered from a disaster or emergency. It can be used to maintain or promptly restore essential public facilities or services when threatened by or damaged as the result of a natural or man-made disaster. Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) under the direction of the Adjutant General administers the Governorís Emergency Fund. For the purposes of the Governorís Emergency Fund a political subdivision is a city, village, county, school district, or other units of government below state level, including entities created by local public agencies pursuant to the Interlocal Cooperative Act.

For your convenience, the following documents are available online:

Below are the four types of Applicants eligible for Public Assistance:

  • State Government Agencies
  • Local Governments
  • Critical Private Non-Profits
  • Native American Tribes
Below is a list of ĎDoís and Donítsí of Debris Management:
  • Do write a Debris Management Plan.
  • Do put bids out immediately after a disaster hits.
  • Do accept three types of bids Ė Lump Sum, Unit Price or Cost plus fixed fee.
  • Do work with known/reputable contractors.
  • Do monitor, document and take pictures of all work performed.
  • Donít put work on hold contingent upon federal or state funds.
  • Donít assume all work is eligible for federal or state funds (such as stump grinding).
  • Donít hire ďDisaster Chaser ContractorsĒ (put out bids or have contractors set up prior to Ėlisted in your Debris Management Plan).
  • Donít hire contractors with a Ďcosts plus a percentage of costí or contingency contract.

For more information about Public Assistance or Hazard Mitigation, please contact:

Donny Christensen Public Assistance Unit Supervisor 402-471-7416
Molly Bargmann Public Assistance Planning Specialist 402--471-7182
Merle Henkenius Public Assistance Assistant 402--471-7184



Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, 2433 N.W. 24th Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68524-1801